EUROQUIZ HEATS 2012
Round 1 – Geography & Languages
ANSWER IN TEAMS – 30 questions, 1 point for each correct answer
Note: For foreign words, the pronunciation is put in brackets after each word.
1. The island of Crete is part of which EU Member State?
2. The Cairngorm Mountain Range is located in which European country?
3. Catalonia is an autonomous region of which EU Member State?
4. Of which EU Member State is this the flag?
5. What is the name of the capital city of Portugal?
6. In which EU Member State is this building situated?
7. Which is the largest city in Turkey in terms of population?
8. Finland shares a land border with Sweden and 2 non-EU countries. Name one?
9. Which EU capital city is this?
10. Which EU Member State is situated between France, Germany and Belgium?
11. Of which EU Member State is this the coat of arms?
12. Name one of the four countries which share a border with Slovenia. (NB only one answer to be given) Italy, Austria, Croatia or Hungary
13. S’il vous plaȋt (Seal voo play), bitte (bit-uh), por favor (por favor) and per favore (payr favoreh) all mean the same thing in English. What is it?
14. These signs all say the same thing. What do they mean?
15. In which European language is the following phrase written: Hallo, ik heet Pieter. Hoe heet jij? (Hallo. Eek hayt Pieter, hoo hayt yai?)
16. Basque is a language spoken in two EU Member States. Name one of them.
17. How many official EU languages are there?
18. In which European language are these the numbers 1-5?
1 - jeden (yeden)
2 – dva (dva)
3 – tři (trshee)
4 – čtyři (shtyir-shee)
5 – pět (pyet)
19. Which one of these words is of Czech origin – a) Internet, b) Robot, c) Hotel?
20. What does the Scottish Gaelic word Alba mean?
21. How do you say “thank you” in Slovak - a) Bedankt (Budahnkt) b) Grazie (Gratsee) c) Ďakujem (Dakooyem)?
22. These messages are all saying the same thing. What is it?
23. In which language is the following written: De unde eşti? (De oonde eshtee?)
24. These all say the same thing in four different languages. What do they mean?
An tAontas Eorpach
25. The French call their language franҫais. Which EU Member State calls their own national language svenska?
26. The EU has 3 working languages. Name two.
27. In which country would you see this sign?
28. In which language is the following question written: Hvor gammel er du? (Voa gahmmel er doo)
29. French, German and which other language are the official languages of Belgium?
30. Au revoir, auf Wiedersehen, adiós and ciao all mean the same in English. What is it?
EUROQUIZ HEATS 2012
Round 2 – EU Affairs
Multiple Choice - ANSWER IN TEAMS – 20 questions, one point for each correct answer
1. How many EU Member States are there?
2. Which Member State currently holds the rotating Presidency of the Council of the European Union?
3. Where is the European Court of Justice located?
4. Which of these buildings is occupied by the European Commission in Brussels? c)
5. How many MEPs currently represent Scotland in the European Parliament?
6. What is the currency of the Czech Republic?
a) the Litas
b) the Euro
c) the Koruna
7. Which of these countries became an EU Member State in 2004?
8. Who is this man?
a) Jerzy Karol Buzek, former President of the European Parliament
b) José Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission (photo taken at an Edinburgh Euroquiz heat!)
c) Mario Draghi, President of the European Central Bank
9. In which year did Bulgaria and Romania join the EU?
10. How many MEPs represent the UK in the European Parliament?
11. Which of these countries has been an EU Member State longest?
12. Which country does this Euro coin represent?
13. Which of these countries is currently an official EU Candidate Country?
14. Who is the current President of the European Council?
a) Herman Van Rompuy
b) Silvio Berlusconi
c) Nicolas Sarkozy
15. Where is the headquarters of the European Central Bank?
16. When did Portugal join the EU?
17. How many members of the European Parliament are there in total?
18. What is the motto of the European Union?
a) United in diversity
b) Wha daur meddle wi' me
c) In God we trust
19. What is the tune of the European Union anthem?
a) Reach for the stars – by: S Club 7
b) Ode to Joy – by: Ludwig van Beethoven
c) The Star Spangled Banner – by: Francis
20. Which EU Member State uses this currency?
EUROQUIZ HEATS 2012
Round 3 – Culture, History and Sport
ANSWER IN TEAMS – 20 questions, one point for each correct answer
1. Charles-de Gaulle Airport is located in which EU capital city?
2. In which EU Member State does this car manufacturer originate?
3. Which European country defeated the Netherlands to win the 2010 Fifa World Cup Final?
4. In which sport does Commonwealth Games medallist Welshman Dai Greene compete?
5. London will host the Summer Olympic Games in 2012. On how many previous occasions has the city hosted the games?
6. From which European country does this car number plate originate?
7. Georges Rémi, creator of cartoon character Tintin, came from which EU Member State?
8. What was the nationality of the painter Vincent Van Gogh?
9. Wiener Schnitzel is considered the national dish of which EU Member State?
10. Which EU Member State does this car sticker represent?
11. Fleur Delacour, from the Harry Potter series, comes from which country?
12. Novak Djokovic, winner of the 2011 Wimbledon tennis tournament, comes from which European country?
13. Which of these pictures depicts the traditional dress of a region in Germany?
14. Fabio Capello, former manager of the England national football team, comes from which EU Member State?
15. Which EU country, with 59 nuclear power plants, produces more nuclear energy than any other?
16. From which EU Member State does this clothes retailer originate?
17. Physicist and astronomer Galileo Galilei was from which modern day EU Member State?
18. Which EU Member State uses this currency?
19. From which EU Member State does convenience store Spar originate, the Netherlands, Ireland or Spain?
20. Transylvania, home to fictional vampire Count Dracula, is a region of which EU Member State?
EUROQUIZ HEATS 2012
ROUND 4 - FINAL
ANSWER IN TEAMS 2013 NB – don’t have any questions which can’t be handed over to the other team (e.g. questions 1 and 2 of this set)
1. In terms of surface area, which country is bigger, France or Italy?
2. In terms of surface area, which country is bigger, Germany or Spain?
3. In French, the strip of water separating Great Britain from mainland Europe is called la Manche. What is it called in English?
4. In Dutch, the sea off the Netherlands’ west and north coasts is called de Noordzee. What is it called in English?
5. Which river forms a large part of the border between Romania and Bulgaria?
6. Mont Blanc, the EU’s highest mountain, is on the border between France and which other country?
7. Which is the most northerly Baltic State?
8. Which is the most northerly EU Member State?
9. In which EU member state would you find the Sagrada Familia cathedral?
10. In which EU member state would you find the Acropolis?
11. What is the capital city of EU Candidate Country Iceland?
12. What is the capital of EU Candidate country Croatia?
13. Which EU Member State shares a border with both Austria and Romania?
14. Which EU Member State shares a border with both Romania and Greece?
15. In which EU Member State is the city of Bremen?
16. In which EU Member State is the city of Antwerp?
17. Which EU Member State is called Suomi in its own most widely spoken language?
18. Which EU Member State is called Magyar in its own most widely spoken language?
19. What is the name of the very small state situated between France and Spain?
20. What is the name of the very small state situated between Switzerland and Austria?